IAWN was established (2013) as a result of the UN-endorsed recommendations for an international response to a potential NEO impact threat, to create an international group of organizations involved in detecting, tracking, and characterizing NEOs. The IAWN is tasked with developing a strategy using well-defined communication plans and protocols to assist Governments in the analysis of asteroid impact consequences and in the planning of mitigation responses.
Currently, IAWN includes members from Europe, Asia, South and North America.
Observers Twitter feed
Tweets from some of our observing signatories and other active asteroid observers.A Twitter List by SBNarchive
Signatories Twitter feed
Tweets from some of our institutional signatories (may have non-asteroid news as well).A Twitter List by SBNarchive
Upcoming NASA Telescope time
- Keck deadline for 2021B (August 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022); the Call for Proposals for 2021B will be available in February with a due date of March 18, 2021.
- IRTF deadline for 2021B (August 1, 2021 to January 31, 2022) is Thursday, April 1, 2021, 5PM Hawaii Standard time.
Planetary Defense Conference 2021
The 7th IAA Planetary Defense Conference in 2021 is being hosted by the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), and will take place April 26-30, 2021.
NOTE: Abstracts due January 31st!!
Read More: Conference Webpage
Apophis Observing Campaign 2021
(09 Oct 2020) The campaign will be modeled on our experience from the two previous campaigns to find out if we can conduct a successful, coordinated observing campaign with relatively short lead time to assess the hazard potential of a large NEA.
Read More: Apophis Campaign
Asteriod designation: 2021 EF1
Discovery station: Mt. Lemmon Survey
Close approach date (UTC): 2021 03 08.20
Close approach distance (× lunar distance): 0.73
Latest orbit & observations
Latest from IAWN
Welcoming 5 new IAWN members!
(Dec 2020) The IAWN Steering Committee has approved several more members since the summer. They are:
- Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics of the Russian Academy of Sciences (KIAM RAS)
- Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (ASI)
- Baldone Astrophysical Observatory, Latvia
- Osservatorio Astronomico "G.V. SCHIAPARELLI", Italy
- Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur (OCA)